Pages

Tuesday 17 June 2014

Vieille Amie - A Lovely Memory

Trying to decide on a village in Provence to spend 2 weeks holiday is never easy as there are so many gorgeous places to choose from.  My friend, Aggie, & I after much umming & ahhing decided on a property in the little village of La Roque Alric.  

Sometimes what you see on a website isn't quite what you get in reality, however Vieille Amie exceeded our expectations.  I had a really good feeling about this place as the emails I'd sent to Maria, the property owner, were always answered promptly & thoroughly & her friendliness & warmth came through her words.

The drive up into the village was breathtaking & from the moment the fabulous Yves, the caretaker, opened the door & we had our first glimpse of our home for the next 2 weeks, well we couldn't have been more excited.  Vieille Amie just had us written all over it.  We felt so welcome & were delighted with the fridge full of eggs, ham, beurre, milk, the beautiful vase of roses picked from the garden (so fragrant & as big as my head!), not to mention the champagne & wine just begging to be opened.  5 mins in & I thought Maria may need police assistance to evict us when the 2 weeks was up!

Here's a little taste of our "slice of heaven"...it was hard, but we pushed through.



Our garden with the fountain that ran all day & was a lovely background noise to chill out to when we were lounging about reading in the sun.
 
   


   
 
Who would have thought I'd get excited about washing of all things?  The Bosch 15 minute cycle together with the fragrant laundry detergent just got me into a spin!  Ah it's the little things.
 
 
Our "blog spot".
 
 

My bedroom leading to the upstairs library.  I was in heaven.  So many books, so little time.
 
Although I will admit on arrival I nearly freaked out when I saw the "little" door (check behind the Rocky Robe) as for a split second I thought I'd stumbled across Colin's weekend getaway (the webbed fingered dwarf).  It was actually a cellar that had been converted into a child's bedroom with a full bathroom etc (pretty spesh), however I slept with one eye open for the first 3 nights as I wasn't convinced. 
 

 
 
View from Aggie's bedroom.  Really does it get any better than this?
 
 
One of our friendly neighbours.  "Go Slow" was the perfect guest and never left any nasty little surprises for us, unlike the creature that would come by each night and leave a little pressie for us on the terrace.  The terrace tiles I could turn a blind eye to, however no little surprises on our table please - that was just bad manners. 
 
 
Each morning & night, weather permitting, we would eat outside on the terrace (after cleaning up any "surprises" that may have been left the night before).  Although we were known to have wrapped ourselves up in our Rocky Robes and Uggies to take full advantage of our gorgeous surrounds - it takes a lot to force us indoors.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The pool which we used once (I use the term "used once" lightly as we dipped, sort of - see my earlier post "The Day We Dipped").
 
 
 
 
 

We were so lucky as we got to meet Maria the day we were leaving & she would be one of the loveliest people I've ever met.  Her kindness, positivity and love of life are infectious and she's one of those people that you walk away from with a big smile on your face.  Positive energy - I love it!
 
Thanks again Maria for welcoming us into not only Vieille Amie but also giving us the grand tour of your property just a door away.  You've done an amazing build and fitout and I don't know how you tear yourself away to come back to Australia in September. x

No comments:

Post a Comment