Pages

Thursday 26 June 2014

A Little Pick Me Up...

Boy oh boy, getting out of bed this week has not been easy! 

Coming off the back of a spring / summer holiday into winter is not easy & even though it hasn't been freezing in Melbourne I've really struggled.  It would have been so easy to pull the doona over my head, curl up in the foetal position & not surface until it was at least light outside, but unfortunately no can do as work beckons.

As I fell out of bed & headed towards the shower I knew I would need some extra help today and I thought of Peppermint, not the lolly kind, rather the essential oil.

Ready for a little lesson in all things Peppermint?

Medical Properties:
Anti-inflammatory, antitumoral, antiparasitic (yep worms), antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, gallbladder/digestive stimulant, pain relieving, and curbs appetite (hmmm maybe I should have used this bad boy more in France!).

Uses:
Rheumatism/arthritis, respiratory infections, viral infections (cold sores etc), fungal infections/Candida, digestive problems, headaches, nausea, and skin conditions (itchy skin, varicose veins, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis).

Impressive hey?

Peppermint is one of my favourite oils and I use it every day, especially in the office.  My work colleagues have slowly clued onto the benefits of these simple remedies and if I had a dollar for every time someone has come to my desk asking for some relief for a headache, the hiccups, congestion, upset tummy, well I'd have enough for a flight to Paris.  To be honest they may have sought me out initially due to the First Aid sign above my desk - it's totally legit as I am a First Aider & haven't just stuck it up there as artwork - but unless someone is in desperate need of the defib I tend to stay away from the First Aid Kit.  Natural is best people. 

Here's a list of my favourite things to do with Peppermint:

Put 1 drop of Peppermint in a mug & add hot water - voila Peppermint Tea (1 drop is equivalent to over 20 tea bags).  Trust me once you've tried this, tea bags just won't cut it.  I can wake up half my floor at work walking back from the kitchen to my desk, mug in hand.  Note to self:  Speak to the powers that be as I'm sure I'm sending productivity through the roof.  Yep I need a raise...I'm truly an asset.



Put 1 drop of Peppermint on your thumb & place your thumb on the roof of your mouth.  Hold it there for a few seconds and then remove your thumb (probably best not to attempt around others as sucking one's thumb is not exactly a good look - especially in the office).  Whammo - an instant pick me up, helps clear the mind & you instantly feel more alert.

Place 1 drop of Peppermint in the palm of your hand - lightly rub your hands together & cup your hands over your nose, NOT your eyes (keep your hands a few cms from your face as Peppermint may make your eyes water - it certainly has a bit of grunt).  A great simple remedy to clear a congested head / sinuses etc (no cold & flu tablets required!).

You can also use Peppermint as a "driver" i.e. if you're applying another essential oil topically place Peppermint on next and it will help drive the oils in.

I only use Young Living essential oils as they're 100% organic and the quality is far superior to anything I've ever used in the past.  I always get great results with these oils, however I can't comment on results you may get from any other oils you choose to use.

A word of warning - if you have oil on your hands / fingers, please ensure you don't rub your eyes as they won't be happy & it'll be tears before bedtime.  If this does happen DON'T use water to flush out - use a good quality olive oil (unsure who carts this round with them, but best not to get oil in your eyes in the first place people).

  

So at 7.30am this morning after sucking on my thumb for a few seconds & then pulling said thumb out of my mouth (I was alone at the time) I felt very revived, jumped in my car and off to work I went.

Unfortunately I was involved in a 3 car accident on the way as someone decided to run up the back of me...no-one hurt so all good.  However poor Beau (my little pug, car not dog) has a few dents in his backside...ouch. 

Luckily I had sucked my thumb before leaving home as I was alert and totally on the ball.  How do I know this?  Because I'd left enough room in front of me & didn't get up close & personal with the car in front - gosh I'm good.  Now the same can't be said for Monsieur Lexus who'd run up my butt.  I was tempted to pull my Peppermint out of my bag & give him a sniff as he was not having a good morning.  He wasn't rude, but he was definitely trying to hold his temper in check (he'd only had his car for 6 months - you'd think it was an actual child - and he was gutted).  As he'd copped it back & front I guess he was just really feeling like the meat in the sandwich (I'm sure some guys wouldn't complain about this...being wedged between 2 ladies & it's not even 9am) but hey that's what insurance is for right?

Look maybe I was on a Peppermint high, who knows, but I thought it was pretty much a win/win as no-one was bleeding from the head & no ambulances were required.  In my mind I like to think some of my Peppermint fumes rubbed off on Monsieur Lexus as by the time we jumped in our cars & drove away he truly did seem much calmer.

Good luck with the repairs Monsieur & wishing your Lexus a speedy recovery. x

No comments:

Post a Comment