Pages

Thursday 19 June 2014

Love Handles & Then Some...

Saying I love holidays is a definite understatement.  In fact it's my absolute favourite thing in the world to do. 
 
My last few holidays I've not considered going anywhere but France as at the moment anything else just seems to rate a very poor second.  I love everything about the place, the people, sights, food, wine - I can't get enough of it.
 
One of the best things about being in France was all the delicious meals I ate.  Trust me I didn't hold back and indulged, every day, several times...how could I not?  I guess that's the thing about holidays - indulging to the max and doing things you normally wouldn't i.e. eating pastries till they come out your ears. 

Obviously I'm an adult and no-one was holding a gun to my head as I ate my body weight in butter alone, however there came a time when I just had to give in & say I can't do this anymore.  This was my second last day in Paris and my poor little bod had just had enough.  Fair call on my body's part as I think it had realised it needed to start preparing for when I returned home (hmmm I love my bod, it's such a smart little unit).  Eek my real life was only a couple of days away! 

In my other (real) life, to pay for my travels, I work as a PA.  In my other, other (real) life I'm a pilates instructor which I absolutely love.  It was the latter I was starting to get a little concerned about thinking of my class at 6.30am on Tuesday morning, a couple of days after I arrived home, as I had noticed not only some love handles proudly protruding over the top of my pants (yep these puppies weren't in the least bit shy), but also a couple more extra layers as well.  Eek.  Would I be able to roll like a ball without getting stuck, get up into a teaser without my food baby hitting my thighs, not to mention look like I was drawing in my deeper abdominals when I was breathing - would this even be possible with these extra layers?  I mean there are certain things you just have to nail as an instructor & I hoped I could pull it off.  Strewth...could be embarrassing.

I got a text the night before my class from the fabulous Monsieur D who had been taking my Tuesday morning classes while I was away, saying "Your class are looking forward to your return and I've taught them to say We Missed You in French".  Aw too sweet.

Tuesday morning arrived and walking into my class, tightening my imaginary corset & standing tall, I definitely felt the love as I got a lovely reception with lots of questions about how my trip went.  I'm not stupid though & quickly realised they were trying to distract me to delay the commencement of the workout (come on guys I wasn't that jetlagged).  Monsieur P got a gold star as he was the only one who delivered the "We Missed You" in perfect French (the others still half asleep muttered "oh yeah I think we were meant to say something, I can't remember, blah, blah, blah").

Now I'm unsure if I left the love handles at Charles de Gaulle, I always panic over excess baggage so they may have dropped off out of sheer fright, but I got through the class beautifully with no problems whatsoever.  I'd only had 4 hours sleep the night before & was a little worried I may fall asleep in the prone position, however it was Monsieur P2 (yep I have 2 of em in my class) that actually did fall asleep face down on his mat.  Monsieur P2 is a total party animal & had definitely partied hard on the weekend (Queen's birthday long weekend - what hope did he have) and even after me prompting him twice to roll over he didn't move.  When his neighbour gave him a nudge he said I wasn't asleep I just couldn't hear you - I'm going deaf.  Pffft...I didn't believe a word of it, but just gave him a smile as after all he had made the effort to get out of bed with god only knows how many hours sleep, assuming he had actually made it home to bed at all.  Can't help but respect a man for that.

Ah it truly is good to be back & my bod is very grateful I'm sure to be getting put through its paces again.

Signing off now with the award winning "Mille Feuille" (natural of course, no flavour / no icing). 

Oh my...if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. x


No comments:

Post a Comment