Pages

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Learning to Walk...in Hampton

 
Last weekend I was fortunate to get to go along to a "Secrets of Natural Walking" workshop at The Pilates Company in Hampton.
 
I was intrigued by the title.  Obviously as an adult well I know how to walk (one would hope), but was I doing it naturally?  Hmmm who knows?  I'm always up to learn something new and anything alignment related well I'm there with my lycra on!  Yep I'm a pilates gal through and through.

Donna, our fabulous presenter on the day, was one of those people you meet and instantly warm to.  She was a lot of fun, created a safe, comfortable environment to "walk" in, and her presentation skills and knowledge were bang on.

Personally I thought I had good posture and body awareness, instilled in me from a young age by my piano teacher, Madam Chapman, as she always had her ruler in hand and was ready to rap me over my knuckles if I ever slouched or let my wrists "be lazy" during a lesson.  Trust me as a 6 year old I did not want that ruler anywhere near me so I sat to attention like a well trained toy soldier.  Merci beaucoup Madam Chapman as in hindsight you did me a favour, even though I think at the time you put the fear of God into me!

Anyway the following 6 hours proved me wrong about having it all down pat as I discovered my body was doing some crazy stuff that I wasn't even aware of.  I mean who knew my right foot did a slight flick out to the side as I walked, and no I hadn't gone all gangsta, it was subtle, but it was definitely doing its own thing. Sounds freaky I know, but I wasn't the only one believe me, as most people in the session were amazed at what was picked up in the way they "normally" walked. 

The Natural Walking website explains how Natural Walking is different:
"Our body has an extraordinary potential to self heal. As we go about our daily lives we are mostly not allowing this process to happen effectively. Walking, when done properly promotes the awakening and activation of our body's natural self healing functions (through stimulation of meridians and inner energy channels) resulting in physical health improvement as well as mental, emotional, and spiritual benefits that can be experienced straight away."
There are so many benefits that I won't list them all down, however click onto the link above for a cheeky peek.

I found the session absolutely fascinating and was amazed how my body felt like it had done an intense gym session, especially in my upper back, and all I'd done was walked.  I have tight glute muscles on my right hand side (yep I have a tight ass and not in the good way) and was shocked when we were holding in a standing position and my right knee slightly buckled - awesome!  My body was realigning itself and I was doing absolutely nothing other than standing in correct alignment as Donna had instructed.  The tightness in my glutes definitely lessened.

The other thing I must mention is about half way through the day, Donna asked to see my hands.  When I looked down I saw that my fingers had swelled slightly and turned an unusual colour.  Eek what was going on?  She explained this was simply due to toxins being released.  Holy cow I'll be putting "Dr" in front of my name soon...self healing, I love it!

Wow what a day this had been.  Jumping in my car with a big smile on my face, me and my not so tight ass headed off home and I was in bed by 8.30pm that night!  Totally stuffed, but in a good way. 

 
Donna (in the gorgeous green top above) it was so lovely to meet you and thanks again for such an informative, fun filled day.  You truly are a beautiful spirit. x
 
P.S.  If you're interested in attending one of the workshops I've noted Donna's details below (open to everyone, not just those in the fitness industry).  Do yourself a favour and take your fitness, health, and wellbeing into your own hands.  How empowering!
 
Donna Ellerton
Mob: 0405 514 462
 

No comments:

Post a Comment