Pages

Sunday 24 August 2014

Move It or Lose It


I love my body and what it can do.  I'm not being up myself, I just mean I love that my body is flexible and actually moves. 

Being a pilates instructor I come into contact with all sorts of people, different shapes and sizes, jobs, fitness levels, and nothing excites me more than when someone in my class has that light bulb moment, "gets it", and starts seeing results.  Initially the changes are subtle (they won't happen over night - persistence is key) but with continued practice the effects can be huge!
My philosophy has always been move it or lose it. 

My mum ("E") is a perfect example of this as she's constantly moving it.  E's never joined a gym and doesn't play sport, however she walks at least 5kms each day (I'd say it's closer to 8km), does the gardening, mows the lawns, and always starts the day doing her "twists" after she jumps out of the shower.  Relax it's all above board...let me explain.
She'd asked me years ago if there was anything else she should be focusing on, apart from walking & using a resistance band for her upper body.  I suggested she stand on the bathmat, feet hip width apart, knees slightly bent & twist - the bathmat slides nicely on the tiles and gets everything moving.  It's not only a great workout for the waist (swing those arms), but incorporates the upper & lower body and really gets the heart rate up.  E gave it the tick of approval, did it for a while, then tweaked it slightly & added the extra challenge of twisting down to the floor and then up.  I asked how many twists she did each morning to which she replied "120".  Strewth!  I was amazed and so proud of her as she'd worked up gradually over a period of time, increasing the number by 5 or 10 each week (smart woman...baby steps, the only way to go).  All this before she takes off for her morning walk - impressive!

E has very good posture, partly due to her positive outlook on life - she feels good about herself and it's reflected in her body (positive, happy people just stand taller) - but the most important thing is she's consistent.  Rain, hail or shine she's out in the fresh air pounding the pavement and never finds excuses not to "move it".

She's reaping the benefits in bucket loads as she's got a great energy about her & is always on the go (dad used to call her a fart in a bottle which I never really understood, but am sure was a term of endearment), people think she's younger than she is (I won't share her age - she'd kill me as she truly believes an error has been made and the wrong date is on her birth certificate), she loves life, and gets out and just lives it.

I love being around people who put a smile on their dial and choose to be happy. E is a great advertisement for this.

Keep up the great work - you're a true inspiration. x



P.S.  How are you going to "move it" today?  Would love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment