Pages

Saturday 24 May 2014

Pierre Pierre & Petit Henri

Aggie & I aren't fans of driving when we're travelling.  Driving on the right hand side of the road isn't right in my books it's wrong, however the time had come to man up...ugh.

After our very relaxing train ride from Paris to Avignon we wandered over to Europcar to pick up our "beast".  We'd pre-booked a cute little Fiat which we were kind of excited about...I mean how European.  We got a Toyota.  Again, not exactly the picture we had in mind, but on the positive side he was cute & had a very sporty steering wheel...we named him Petit Henri.

We plugged in Pierre Pierre (AKA TomTom) & zoomed off on our way.  Now Aggie & I are old school & prefer to read a map rather than be guided by a voice telling you to turn now when it's still showing 20 metres to go on the screen.  We're trusting souls but who should we believe?  After a few "is it this turn", "when do I turn...arrgghh is it now" we finally made it out of peak hour Avignon & were well on our way to La Roque Alric which was to be home for the next 2 weeks.

The countryside is absolutely stunning & reminded me of the Dandenongs in Melbourne with the narrow, winding roads.  Aggie said she felt like Bond in a sporty little car flying round the hairpin bends, although in granny gear it felt more like Driving Miss Daisy.

I took this shot while screeching round a hairpin bend at 5km an hour.  OK not entirely true but if I wanted to I'm sure I could have.


What a relief to make it to La Roque Alric & be greeted by the lovely Yves.  He couldn't speak a word of English & didn't understand our French at all.  

It didn't matter...he could have played Julia Robert's love interest in Eat, Pray, Love.  
It's all I'm sayin.  x

No comments:

Post a Comment