Pages

Sunday 9 November 2014

Let the Birthday Celebrations Begin...


There are two types of people in this world when it comes to birthdays.  Those that close their eyes and pretend it's not happening or those that get the maximum mileage out of it.  I fall into the latter as I love, love, love birthdays!

Every year I draw out the celebrations for as long as I think I can get away with it.  My PB to date is 6 weeks which was a stellar effort if I do say so myself. Yep I'm a typical Scorpio - 100% committed to the job at hand or I don't even go there.

Today I was heading to the countryside to kick off the celebrations with two of the most important ladies in my life...my mum and sister.  Along for the ride, and of course a fabulous lunch, was Madam G who proved she's one hardcore chick. This had nothing to do with the lunch, rather the fact  we were going to be in the car for over an hour on a 34 degree day & my A/C was kaput. She was well & truly prepared (I suspect she was a Girl Guide as a youngster) as she was packing bottles of water, deodorant, and very cool clothing.

Kyneton here we come!


Walking into Annie Smithers Bistrot with an opening line of "Hello we don't have a booking but will you please feed us anyway?" we were welcomed with open arms and told "Certainly let's find you a table."

We were off to a cracking start and walking through to the restaurant I knew we were in for a truly great dining experience.
 
  
Loved the Scandanavian tables and all the fresh flowers.


The confit free range duck leg, brined & smoked duck breast was a definite winner, but I loved the hapuka which melted in my mouth.  Delish.



Panna cotta with lemon sorbet was a lovely way to finish our meal.  I'm a sucker for anything citrus.


What an absolutely wonderful day!

But wait there's more.  Delicious treats with coffee...oh my...if I had any room left in my belly I'd stay for dinner.


Michelle & Tim you've created something really special and we couldn't have been made to feel more welcome if you'd done cartwheels in your veggie patch.  Passionate people, local produce, dishes made with love.

The birthday bar has been set!  Will I be able to maintain this standard for the whole week?  I like to think so.

Even the sight of my tangerine coloured feet when I got home didn't deter my high spirits.  At first I thought I'd gone a little OTT with the fake tan, but I worked out my car must have been hotter than I thought as my tangerine tootsies were merely the result of the colour coming off my shoes. x


2 comments: